What I'm looking for in a vacation

As I begin these summaries of prospective vacation destinations, it might be helpful for you to know what our criteria are for this trip, and how I came to these 5 finalists.

1. It must be tropical and outside the US -  I'm looking for white beaches and blue waters people! And I want to use my passport!
I'm looking for something like this

2.  It must be affordable - Our approximate budget for this trip is $1500 per person, which should include airfare, hotel, transfers, taxes, and all food and drink.  It would also ideally include water sports at the hotel such as snorkeling, however, we will consider places that do not include this.  We expect to pay more for excursions.

3. It must be All-Inclusive - (see above.)  We're hoping that quite a few people will join us on this trip, and we want everyone to have a good time.  Going to an all-inclusive means that everyone is pretty much on the same playing ground. There is no "splitting the bill" or buying rounds of drinks - everyone can just eat, drink and be merry.  On the other side of this though, all-inclusive can also mean limited dining and beverage options.  While that's ideal for us, we recognize that not everyone is going to be into this.

I love blue drinks

4. It must have decent reviews on travel sites - I've been reading reviews on Orbitz and TripAdvisor, primarily.  I'm looking for places where the majority of reviews are positive, or at the very least, honest and fact-based.  For example, if someone says that the food was awful, that doesn't tell me much, but if they tell me that they didn't enjoy the food because it was a buffet and there was only fish and pork, or something like that, then at least I know why they didn't like it.

5. It must have universal appeal - Like I mentioned above, we're hoping that perhaps a few other people will join us.  Thus, we want to make sure that it's a place that everyone will have a good time.  For example, going to a place that specializes in spa treatments or a really child-focus resort would not make sense for us. 

6. I don't want to wait in lines for hours to get dinner reservations, or have to wake up at the crack of dawn to put a towel on a beach chair to "reserve" it - Doesn't that really say it all?  Any reference to any of these two things existing at a resort, and I am immediately turned off.

For now, I think those are my main criteria.  Obviously, no matter where we decide to go, there may be others who hate the place that we chose.  Someone might hate the food, or think that their room is disgusting, even if we are perfectly happy with the exact same scenario.  My hope is that as long as we are honest about the pros and cons of each place, people will feel comfortable making the decision as to whether or not to come, and that they'll ultimately be happy or at least have a good time.  That's all that I can ask for right?

If you know of any great places that meet all of the above criteria, please comment below!

Coming up, destination #1 - Jamaica.

1 comments:

MansTouch said...

Planning a trip ahead of time can help lessen the stress. Researching on airfare promos will be great especially if the budget is limited, it is usually during off peak season.
____________________
Lifestyles of Paris

Post a Comment