Getting used to eating "whole"

Back in the day, when we started the "anti-cancer" diet we suddenly had to incorporate an entirely new world of foods into our lives - "whole" foods.  Whole grain, whole wheat, raw vegetables, natural everything.  It was tough and for two very (previously) unhealthy eaters like D and I, it took a lot of getting used to.

Our all-natural, organic garden

You see, even back in the day when D and I were both dieting, we still weren't necessarily "eating healthy."  We would still basically eat whatever we wanted, just less of it.  So, we still ate french fries, or food with hydrogenated oils or trans fats, but just made sure that at the end of the day we didn't go too far over our allotted calorie counts.  We actually still lost weight this way, although I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone. 

We had tried healthier alternatives, like whole wheat pasta instead of enriched macaroni pasta, but we just didn't like it.  We didn't like the consistency or the taste.  In fact, I'm pretty sure we hated it, so at the time we just threw away the box and went back to our normal pasta-eating habits.

So when we decided to implement this anti-cancer diet - which consists almost entirely of natural foods! - we had to take an enormous step back in evaluating what we ate.  No hydrogenated oils didn't sound so hard, until we started reading ingredients and realized that nearly EVERYTHING we ate had hydrogenated oils in it.  (Everything that comes from a box nearly ready to eat and is tasty and has a long shelf life has hydrogenated oils in it.  Basically, it's a preservative.)  Eating whole wheat and multi-grain bread products didn't sound so hard either, until we realized that it meant completely cutting white bread out of our diets. What!?!? No white bread?!?!?

At first we hated it.  HATED it.  I hated reading the ingredients on a meal that I was particularly excited about, only to realize that it contained an ingredient that was a definite "no," or only to find that it lacked "whole" flour, the only kind of flour that is a definite "yes."  But we sucked it up and bought the healthy food, and even though we weren't excited about it, we ate it.  And kept eating it, and kept eating it.  Some days I was so sick of multi-grain bread that I craved sugar and simple carbs like crazy.  When that happened, I put a piece of sugar free gum in my mouth, and most of the time, it worked.   I found myself not wanting to make pasta, because I didn't like the whole wheat version, but I made it anyway.  For a short while, I stopped eating salads because I wasn't loving only getting to have raw spinach, but then I started making salads again. I wasn't willing to give up.

Slowly, gradually, at some point, we started developing a taste for it.  I used to say that if you eat something 15 times, ou'll develop a taste for it, but I'm not sure that I totally used to believe it.  Now, I'm starting to think I was on to something.  That manta go me eating broccoli many years ago, and it's now one of my favorite vegetables.  Not unlike the broccoli experience, we found ourselves slowly embracing this new food lifestyle.  It was amazing to see that we were really actually developing a taste for these healthier foods! It was definitely a turning point for us.

So we started eating all of these amazing, healthy "super foods."  And we discovered a problem that we hadn't anticipated.

As we started eating more and more of these healthier foods, I noticed that I was having more stomach problems than usual.  This healthy food can be  hard to digest and my body was NOT used to it!  Eating a full spinach salad ripped my stomach up!  So much fiber and I was NOT used to it.  Instead of mayonaise I was putting mashed avocado on my sandwiches, and the natural oils and fats were painful to digest.  D experienced similar pains as well.  Eating healthy was suddently hard AND painful because our bodies were so used to only digesting pre-processed foods.

There are still days when I really struggle.  I still crave some of my favorite, unhealthy foods (Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich tends to be my most common craving), and I have to use a lot of will power to not give in.  There is no secret, no simple trick or word of wisdom that I can share to help you avoid those temptations.  For me, I just woke up one day and told myself that I needed to make a serious change.  And I struggle and fight with my inner glutton each and every day.  But I've found that talking about my lifestyle change to others - such as co-workers and family - really helps to validate what I'm doing, and by putting it out there to the world, I hope that other people will help to hold me accountable.

I know that some people - a lot of people - have been eating healthy whole foods like those that I listed above for a long time.  And they actually enjoy it!  I envy those people, who get to eat what they love and be healthy and anti-cancer at the same time.  Perhaps some day I will be there as well.

In the meantime, I'm off to make a spinach salad!

2 comments:

Laura said...

It IS a hard transition. We've done it in steps. The first thing we did was to quit eating boxed or prepared foods. That meant I had to do a lot more planning and cooking haha. Hate cooking!

But as for switching to wheat in things like bread and pasta or even with baking... sometimes it helps to do things like that in steps... start by doing half white flour/half whole wheat and gradually work your way up to being all whole wheat.

We had to do something like that with adding veggies. Neither of us cared for onions, peppers, celery, etc in our food. (We were very plain eaters.) But we just started adding little amounts when the recipe called for it and now we have those things all the time and I even eat peppers raw if they are in a veggie tray. Never thought I would do that.

But you are right... you do learn to like things. Except peas... I will NEVER learn to like peas. I can't stand them haha.

Thanks for blogging about your journey... it's always helpful to be able to read about it and it is encouraging to me to stay on track... because I want to get off track all the time!

Melissa said...

Thank you so much for writing this! I feel that it is sooo hard...not to do it- but to do it & be consistent! I read "Eat this & Live" by Don Colbert (Laura's recommendation) & loved it & really wanted to start "clean eating". I know if i do this CONSISTENTLY i will lose weight! I have been eating WHOLE WHEAT bread for years - i like it much better than white. & i've recently started getting the whole grain pasta, which isn't bad! I love salads, too. My problem is packing veggies & fruits for snacks- so inconvenient & then i always end up eating junk b/c i didn't take the time to plan a healthy snack (for work days). I also bring lunch to work & then get sick of it & go out & get...you guessed it... SONIC! UGH! But i am encouraged by this blog & want to continue to make changes! :) I admire people who eat like this everyday.

Post a Comment