My Organs

Yesterday during a long car ride home from Delaware, I was terribly uncomfortable.  Not five minutes after stopping at a turnpike rest stop, a sharp kick to my bladder (I like to call it "bladder boxing") left me feeling like I needed to use the bathroom again, immediately.

So I leaned by seat back and tried to relax, knowing that I didn't really have to go, and that it was simply because of the kick.  Then a few minutes later, after some particularly intense movement, I noticed a bulge on my left side where my waist used to be.  It definitely had not been there a few minutes ago.

DH decided to call it my spleen, but whatever it was, it was crazy.  I don't pretend to understand what this baby is doing to my insides, but I could certainly tell that something was shifting in there.  I decided to do some research to see just how much my poor internal organs were being reorganized, and came upon this fascinating image/video that shows how a growing baby relocates ones innards.

Take a quick moment and watch it: 

http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/you/the-exhibit/your-beginning/make-room-for-baby/interactive/ 

First of all, no wonder I felt like I had to pee.  That poor little bladder in the video gets crushed within the first 8 seconds!

Second, no wonder I can't eat the same quantities that I used to! And no wonder I have digestion issues! My poor intestines. My poor stomach!

In fact, how do pregnant women fit any food in their stomachs at all? 

Here's another one where you drag a slider bar and see the weeks progress as the organs move.  Fascinating, all of it.   http://www.umm.edu/pregnancy/000088.htm

1 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh goodness, I have a bladder condition that makes me feel like I have to pee all the time - so I know what you mean! I can't imagine someone kicking it on top of that.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Post a Comment