Run the Lights - With me!

Ever since I ran a 5K on the treadmill in 29 and a half minutes, I've been thinking about ways to get my butt outside to run. I'm not very motivated outdoors - there's no TV watch to there!  But seriously, how pathetic am I if I can't run without watching television?  I know "real" runners probably already consider me to be a fraud for running on a treadmill in the first place.  I want to like to run outside, I just need to get the motivation to do it.

Anyway, I'm not really ready to run a "real race" yet, but I do want to try a run outside. 

Would anyone be interested in joining me?

There are a few races left this year, and I learned about one recently that sounded like it was right up my alley.

The Hartwood Acres Run The Lights event.  http://www.alleghenycounty.us/parks/calendar/2010/hw_1117runlights.pdf

The concept is simple - Hartwood Acres opens a day early for this run, and runners (or walkers) can come anytime between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. to complete the race.  You pay $10, which goes to charity, and get to run through the beautiful Hartwood Acres lights. Outside. 

Flickr image from user Epoch

I think it sounds like fun!  No stress or pressure to finish in a certain amount of time, cool temperatures and beautiful lights.  Is anyone interested?  It's on a Wednesday night (November 17th) and if I can convince anyone to join me I'm thinking we would meet between around 7:30 to catch the shuttle for the run. 

I think this would be a great way to introduce myself to outdoor running.  If you've ever been to Hartwood Acres, you know that the whole thing is a ridiculous over-stimulation of bright, pretty lights.  That's sort of like watching television, right???

If you're interested, please let me know!  And if no one is interested, I may even consider doing this one myself!

0 comments:

Post a Comment