I need a vacation!

After our 8 day honeymoon last year, I realized just how important it is to me to have a "real" vacation to make my summer feel "fulfilled." (I'm using a lot of quotes here - I know - because these are terms that I am acknowledging might sound ridiculous to others.)

This summer has been hard in some ways, and easy in others.

In terms of work, things are going relatively well. Now that I am in my fourth summer of this very cyclical job, things are finally working out the way that I'd like them to. What used to be considered "the busy time" for my department just a mere three years ago, is now relatively calm and organized. My first summer here I worked every night until 8 p.m. and often had to come in on the weekends. I worked multiple 15 hour days. The overtime (which I no longer get) was nice, but it was NOT a lifestyle that I could maintain. I learned very quickly that that was the culture of the office; of the people who were there at that time. As they slowly moved on to other places and I became a more senior member of the staff, I realized that the culture could - and should - change. It's a much better place now and while the nature of our work means that there will always be some weekend and evening work, it's almost always pre-scheduled and just generally less stressful.

But in terms of my health, I feel like this summer has been crap. I have been struggling with excruciating neck and shoulder pain for weeks. The only thing that helps is Valium, which is NOT ideal. I am a person that experiences the maximum side effects for all drugs that I take, so any drug knocks me on my ass. My migraines have been back full force over the past few months, and now I'm getting a cold. Ugh.

But, there is hope in the future! Next week, will be what I am considering my vacation for this summer. A trip to the Susquehanna river for four days of relaxation. Instead of this computer monitor, I'll be looking at this:



And, hopefully this!

Isn't he the cutest water dog ever!!?!?

I am SOOO looking forward to our mini-vacation, and am already planning for our larger "second honeymoon" vacation next summer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment